To make my first couple of testable levels, I need a clear understanding of how to preserve the game state and how to reset the level when I die and also how many times I wanna die and where I will get reborn, and how I get reborn.
So I made a simple list of some soft requirements.
- Making dying a painless thing
- Getting reborn at a save spot to be able to try again
- Seeing the relicts of past battles I fought
- Picking up the game after a day without losing anything
The soft requirements lead to a set of hard requirements. The hard requirements are easier to make happen in code than a fluffy set of soft requirements.
Connect the Rooms
The rooms exit and entrance are connected that way I know where I have to place the player after he left the room through a certain door or exit.
Player Enters a New Game
If I start a new game I need a default entrance point for the player and this is only for the very first room anyway.
- Drop the player at the rooms default location
- Load the room in its initial state
Player Switch the Room
In case I die I wanna back the inial state of my ammo and weaponry to have a fair chance to be able to clear this room.
- Store the state of the current room
- Remove the current room
- Keep all collected and not used up ammo and weapons
- Load the room you switch either the saved or the initial one
- Drop the player at the connected entrance of the new room
- Store ammo and weapon state at this point
I must get back the state I had when I entered the room to be able to clear this room else I might run out of ammo over time and the chance to make it through that room goes to zero.
- Drop the player on his last entrance
- Remove all items the player collected in the current room
- Load either the saved room or the initial room
- Load ammo and weapon state
Player Dies in Not Finished Room
I have one special case, if I enter a new room collect ammo and weapons, go back to old rooms and use up all ammo in those old cleared rooms, I have no chance to make it through the new not yet cleared room. So I need the following rule.
- If you die in a not yet cleared room reset that room to initial state
A short footage about switching levels with the rules from above. Enjoy.
There is still some problems with falling stuff if I left a level. This falling stuff will stop falling if I leave the level and continue falling if I reenter the level.
I get commissions for purchases made through the following links, I only put stuff in this section I also would buy or I already bought